Tax Filing Timeline
Updated: Jan 14
The last few years have taught me that deadlines are helpful to our clients. Here are the 2021 tax season deadlines:
1. All personal 2021 Tax Returns are due on April 18th. The IRS is scheduled to start receiving tax returns on January 31, 2022, but we do not need to wait until then to complete your tax return. We can start on your tax return as soon as:
- We have your 2021 tax documents (W2, all 1099s, etc).
- You have signed an Engagement Agreement.
- You fill out a Tax Organizer form.
2. If you are a business client, your books and data must be in our office by February 15th to meet the March 15th filing deadline. All Partnerships, LLCs, Corporations, S-Corps, are due a FULL month before personal returns. If we are in the process of completing your return and do not have ALL the necessary information, we will automatically file an extension for you. We will not file an extension for your business unless we have been engaged by you for the 2021 tax year.
3. The last day we will take sit-down appointments for individual returns will be March 31st. After that date, we will only take drop-off returns.
4. After you drop off your documents, we will review your file and let you know by phone or email if we are missing any documents. If you do not provide us with all the documents needed to complete your return, your file will be set aside until we have all the necessary documents. We cannot work on incomplete tax returns.
5. If for any reason we are unable to complete your return by the due date of April 15th, we will automatically file an extension for you. However, you will need to make an estimated tax payment to avoid penalties and interest charges. If we have not been engaged for the 2021 filing year, please call us so that we know to file an extension on your behalf. Note: In past years, we have filed extensions for some customers who never came back to finish their tax returns (or to pay us). Starting this year, we will not automatically file an extension for you unless you contact us first.