Top 5: Tax Expert vs TurboTax
Updated: Jan 16, 2020
Every year our office gets calls from taxpayers who need help with TurboTax. People often have just one burning question that the software just can't answer. However, most of them never thought about the the risks of using online tax preparation software. So here are our Top 5 Reasons why you should hire a Tax Expert instead of using DIY software.
1. TurboTax mistakes are expensive to fix. Every year we see new clients who have been notified by the IRS that they owe money after filling their returns using TurboTax. Most often they made a simple mistake or skipped a form, and now have to pay us to fix their return and pay the IRS for penalties and interest. In the end, they spend a lot more than they saved on tax preparation to correct their problems.
2. Our clients see larger refunds and lower tax payments. Online software may work fine if you have one source of income and simple return. But most of our clients have more complicated live that include kids, other dependents, rental properties, side-gigs, bank accounts overseas, bankruptcies - the list goes on. We take the time to understand your personal financial situation, determine the right way to file, and identify which deductions and credits you will benefit from.
3. Your time is valuable. Every year we also see new clients who are tired of how long it takes to complete their return online and are tired of second-guessing if they did it right. In a few hours, we can finish a return that might have taken days of research to finish on their own. Since our staff takes mandatory continuing eduction each year, we stay up-to-date on all the latest tax code changes and how the IRS is ruling on certain tax issues. Our Tax Experts will let you know exactly what documents you need to provide, what the IRS will allow, and we will complete your return quickly and correctly.
4. We help you plan for the future. While preparing your tax return, we will suggest what you can change to lower your taxes and keep more of your money. We can answer your questions about opening retirement accounts, taking social security, when to pay off debt, and the best ways to save for college. The right tax advice is worth so much more than the savings from DIY software.
5. We stand behind our work. If you are audited, we will be there to defend the tax return we filed for you. If you change jobs, decide to start a business, or your family situation changes, we are here year-round to answer your questions. As Enrolled Agents, we are licensed to practice in all 50 states - so wherever your work or your life takes you, we will have your back.
Above all, we are a family-run company with 25 years helping our clients grow and prosper. We will be there with each step you take, from marriage to kids, to opening a business, to college, to retirement.
So before you file online by yourself, give our Tax Experts a call!