• Courtney

Getting ready to file your 2019 taxes (1/4)

Number 1: Adjust your withholding or make a tax payment

(This is the first in a series of posts that will help you get ready to file your 2019 taxes)

If you received a smaller refund than expected or owed an unanticipated tax bill this year, consider adjusting your withholding to help protect against having too little tax withheld and facing an unexpected tax bill or penalty at tax time next year. Or, you may prefer less tax withheld up front and receive more in your paycheck.

Take these actions to get ready for next year:

Use the Tax Withholding Estimator to help make sure you have the right amount of tax withheld from your paycheck, pension or other income.

Submit a new  Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate to your employer to change withholding. If you receive pension or annuity income, you can use the results from the estimator to complete a Form W-4P, Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments and give it to your payer. Some taxable income is not subject to withholding including self-employment and gig economy income.  People with this income who also have income from a job may want to adjust the amount of tax your employer withholds from your paycheck.

Make estimated or additional tax payments now if the tax withheld from your salary, pension or other income doesn’t cover the 2019 income tax that you’ll owe for the year.  Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals also has a worksheet to help you figure your estimated payments. Visit to explore payment options.  

More information from the IRS here

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Covid-19 Help for Small Businesses

Hello everyone, Between the State and Federal government stimulus programs we now have a few options to keep your business going.  Below I've attached some links - some of these expire soon, so take a

Changes is response to Covid-19

Better Business Tax and Accounting is changing our procedures in order to continue tax preparation services. We value the health of all of our clients, our employees, and their families. Many of our

Top 5: Tax Expert vs TurboTax

Every year our office gets calls from taxpayers who need help with TurboTax. People often have just one burning question that the software just can't answer. However, most of them never thought abou